The 17th of May every year is IDAHO (the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia).
Click on any of the headings below for more information about IDAHO in a particular year, with photos.
For more about IDAHO worldwide, see www.dayagainsthomophobia.org/
IDAHO will be celebrated in Croydon on Saturday 17th May 2014. It will be a bigger and better version of last year's event, with stalls for ten churches and ten LGBT Organisations, plus music, with the title "One Love".
IDAHO (international Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia) was celebrated in Croydon on the following day, Saturday 18th May 2013, with an event in North End, Croydon. There were displays from six local churches and six local LGBT groups, and music by members of the Croydon Brass Band. Photos from number 8 onwards are by Chris Packham of Reigate: www.digitalspin.co.uk.
There's a good write-up of the event on the Gscene website: http://gscene.com/idaho-day-croydon/
For IDAHO 2012 there were four events in Croydon:
- an event near Queen Victoria's statue in Katharine Street. CAGS members sent congratulations to the Queen on her Diamond Jubilee, while recalling tha 40 Commonwealth countries still penalise homosexuality
- an outreach event in North End
- a get-together at the Odd Shoe pub
- In the evening there was a debate about gay marriage at the Unitarian Church.
For IDAHO 2011 the programme was as follows:
- 3 to 6pm: outreach in North End, Croydon, with the Croydon POP Bus.
- 5:55pm: assemble outside Barclays Bank, North End, for:
- 6pm: one minute's silence and balloon release to commemorate those lives lost and the families affected by homophobia, with special guest the Mayor of Croydon, Cllr Avril Slipper.
- 7 to 8pm: multi-faith prayers and meditation in the chapel of Croydon University Hospital.
- 8:30pm: The LGBT Community Getting together, Marking IDAHO at The Green Dragon, 58-60 High Street, Croydon.
There was a full programme of events for IDAHO 2010, as follows:
- 11am-5pm Croydon Clocktower: information stalls, performance, guest speaker, drop-in bus outside; balloon release at 4pm.
- 6pm IDAHO Gay Quiz at The Green Dragon, 58-60 High Street, Croydon CR0 1NA.
- 7pm The Black Sheep Bar , 68 High Street, Croydon CR0 1NA: Guest Speakers, Anti-Homophobia Film, Live Music from Dawson & the Diff-Rents and Chris Dye, DJ till late. Entry: donation of your choice, supporting Crocus, Croydon's LGBT Network.
- Plus your chance to sign Up to new Crocus 18-30, Social and Support Network by and for younger LGBT People, coming soon.
For IDAHO 2009, David Kay, our LGBT Liaison Officer, handed out hundreds of cards all over the Borough, promoting IDAHO and the LGBT crime reporting schemes supported by a number of different LGBT agencies. Aurora and CAGS organised a display commemorating 26 transgendered people who had been murdered in the previous year. There were cards with victims' names, 26 candles, and a vase of white lilies.
For IDAHO 2008 we distributed slices of cake (our picture shows the special "cake" created to celebrate Aurora's fifth birthday a couple of weeks before) and spoke to people at the Bird in Hand, Sydenham Road, asking about their experience of LGBT-related crime. We gave out surveys from Victim Support and from Crocus. Experiences ranged from persistent intimidation of a lesbian couple, and male rape, to those who had experienced nothing that they could not face down and deal with themselves.
In 2007 the IDAHO theme was to make a noise for victims of hate crime everywhere, so Aurora celebrated it by bursting balloons in a protest against homophobia worldwide.
Aurora celebrated IDAHO 2006 with a short ceremony in the foyer of Croydon Town Hall, attended by representatives of the police and the local LGBT communities. We observed a minute's silence, and unveiled a board with four panels representing action in four areas of work.